Review: Fistful of Frags
Fistful of Frags was born years ago as a Wild West-themed modification for the Source engine. It has been completely renewed for its Steam release, paying special attention to combat mechanics.
Also please note this is a completely *free* standalone mod, no micro-transactions exist, no registration required. Just install and play. You may see ads when joining certain third-party servers that host our game for free. That's however completely unrelated to the FoF dev team, we do not profit from them.
Fistful of Frags combat is its selling point as the Shooter forces players to carefully aim to accurately fire their weapons. The resulting firefights are considerably less frenzied while simultaneously more intense than your average modern-day FPS. Guns reload slowly and hold only a handful of bullets at best. Players will need to stand and face their opponents while remaining cool under pressure to squeeze off an accurate shot.
Weapons range from single-handed six-shooters and sawed-off shotguns to two-handed single-shot rifles and even a bow. Players may also choose to bring along brass knuckles, throwing knives, or even dynamite. For those feeling a bit more civilized, you may don a gentleman’s top hat and mustache which comes with additional rule-sets for scoring notoriety, Fist of Frags accumulative score points.
Fistful of Frags Gameplay
Red Chest weapons (middle tier): These weapons are found in red chests. Red chests are relatively good in quality and have average notoriety rewards per kill.
Gold Chest (high tier weapons): These weapons are the deadliest weapons in the game. They have a low amount of notoriety per kill, so their purpose is usually associated with maintaining higher killstreaks. Upon opening a golden chest, you also recover all of the health you might have lost trying to get to it.
Dexterity: In the game, you can choose to be right handed, left handed, or ambidextrous. Each type of dexterity affects the way you aim. If you’re ambidextrous, you have no accuracy penalty in regular aiming, fanning, and dual wielding,
Fistful of Frags Key Features
- Shootout (classic death-match / free for all) and up to 4 team death-match: nonstop, all-around action. FFA supports ladder based global ranks.
- Teamplay mode: objective-based game mode featuring zone capture and 'push the cart' levels.
- Cooperative mode: up to 6 players; features missions as bank assault, last stand, push
- Singleplayer challenges and missions: learn the game alone, master the skills you'll need later at your own pace
- Other multiplayer modes: Grand Elimination (a fast-paced Battle Royale like mode), Break Bad (team-based death-match like mode featuring custom rules as unarmed players or objectives), Team Elimination (kill the entire enemy team once at least to win the round), Versus (1 vs 1 duel matches, each map features different arenas, fair match creation based on player rank/skill)
- Detailed dual wield system: double dynamic crosshair, weapon flip for extra accuracy options, drop or throw your handguns as a projectile attack
- Advanced multiplayer bots for off-line practice
- Historical black gunpowder based weapons as Colt Peacemaker/Navy/Walker, S&W Schofield, Volcanic pistol, Deringer, Smith Carbine, Sharps rifle or Henry Rifle
- Customization options: choose primary/secondary weapons and special perks
- Skill-based scoring system: the more skill required to accomplish an attack, the higher score is
- Source Engine 2013: community-managed dedicated servers, LAN support, 3rd party level design and user customization allowed
Fistful of Frags Media
Minimum System Requirements
OS: XP, Vista, Windows 7, 8
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz or equivalent
Memory Ram: 4 GB
Hard Disk Space: 4 GB of free disk space
Video Card: ATI X1600 or Nvidia GeForce 9 or higher