Review: Astral Heroes
Astral Heroes is a Free To Play collectible card game that offers some unique twists and variations on the classic CCG formula. The follow-up to Apus Software’s Astral Masters, Astral Heroes offers many different game modes, including a PVE campaign, draft tournaments, and random deck matchups, as well as the ability to track your progress on leaderboards to see how you match up against other players from around the world.
Astral Heroes uses a truly fair Free-to-Play model that never hides the best content behind “pay walls”. There's nothing in the game that you can't have for free, and you won't need to grind for months to build a competitive deck.
Gameplay follows the usual mana-curve-leading-to-more-powerful-creatures-and-spells template, but in Astral Heroes, each creature is assigned to one of six lanes. Every turn, they attack straight ahead, either against an opponent’s creature or directly against their hero. This challenges players not only to play the right cards but to play them in the right places. Also, players can replace a card in their hand every turn, reducing the impact of a bad draw.
Astral Heroes also allows players to form guilds, which unlocks advanced features and allows for faster progression, making it a more social game than most CCGs. Daily quests can also speed your advancement, and there is no card rarity, so before you know it, you’ll have a killer deck and be ready to take on all comers!
Astral Heroes Gameplay
At the bottom left, you'll see your Spell Power, Life, and Mana. Mana is used to play cards, and you will start each turn with mana equal to your spell power.
To the right will be the four cards in your hand. It is likely you'll have to summon a creature for your first move, as any spells do not yet have valid targets. Select a creature with 1 mana cost if you have one, and play it in one of the slots on your side. Then click "End Turn".
This will start your "attack phase", but creatures just summoned that turn don't attack, so nothing will happen yet. Your opponent will then get his turn, followed by his attack phase, but again, any creature he summoned that turn won't attack yet.
On your next turn, you'll note your spell power has increased by 1, also giving you 1 more mana at the start of this turn. This will happen each turn for both you and your opponent.
Astral Heroes Key Features
- Fast-paced and simple core gameplay
- 3 different game modes
- Custom Decks: Construct and play a deck of your own personal design
- Random Decks: Improvise a strategy on the fly with a deck of random cards
- Draft Tournament: Draft the cards you need before your opponents snatch them!
- A deep library of wellbalanced creatures and spells
- No “junk” – every card in the game can be powerful in the right hands
- A global Online League – match wits with players from all around the world
- Guilds – team up with other players to earn extra bonuses and access special cards
- Sophisticated and merciless AI opponents that will test your mettle
- A rich singleplayer campaign, available for free to every player
Astral Heroes Media
Minimum System Requirements
OS: Windows XP or above
Processor: 1.5 GhZ Pentium 4 or Above
Memory Ram: 1GB
Hard Disk Space: At least 300MB of free Space
Video Card: Any 64 MB VRAM Card